Families and individual clients from all walks of life turn to Jimmy for help. Along with Jimmy’s empathy, his long experience is what allows him to know what each client’s unique situation requires and how best to deliver it.
In his decades of experience, Jimmy has handled thousands of cases, accumulated significant courtroom experience, appeared in over 100 jury trials, and has taken part in countless hearings, mediations, adoptions, agreed and uncontested divorces, and collaborative law cases.
Jimmy became licensed to practice law in May 1995. Shortly after, he worked as an assistant criminal district attorney at the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office in Fort Worth, Texas. For 5 years he conducted around 90 jury trials and prosecuted crimes including domestic violence, family violence, sex crimes against children, and other felony and misdemeanors. During his time at the Tarrant County DA, Jimmy worked with children to protect them from predators. In prosecuting sex crimes, Jimmy spent significant time working with children and preparing them for testimony. “I still have a drawer full of thank-you cards”, Jimmy says.
After 5 years at the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office, Jimmy worked in commercial litigation with Hill Gilstrap, a private firm in Arlington, Texas, where Jimmy practiced in the areas of contracts, business litigation, wills and estates litigation, and airplane crash litigation.
Jimmy moved to Austin and joined his father’s law practice. After becoming a father in 2005, Jimmy chose to focus his law practice exclusively on family law.
In 2010 Jimmy completed the rigorous testing and evaluation requirements by peers, judges, and the State of Texas, and became Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. In 2014 Jimmy was appointed to the Family Law Section of the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Accolades & Distinctions
- Named one of Texas Monthly’s “Super Lawyers” from 2015 – 2022
- Named by Martindale as one of the “Top Lawyers in Texas”
- 10/10 rating on Avvo, based on clients’ reviews
- Featured as a legal expert on Austin’s local radio station
- Speaks at legal training seminars for attorneys and paralegals
- Wrote and published “Divorce with Dignity: An Amicable Legal and Financial Approach to an Uncontested Split” with Chris Heerlein
- Admitted to U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Texas Academy of Family Law
- Texas Family Law Foundation
- Family Section of the Travis County Bar
- Williamson County Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- B.A, Austin College
- J.D., Texas A&M School of Law, 1995
James W. EvansClients’ ChoiceAward 2023